Thursday, August 7, 2008

Standing in the Dark

I think all citizens can agree that we do not respect politicians who use games and double speak, as well as parliamentary procedure to accomplish very little for the people and most for themselves. "Politicians" are not representatives of the people, nor are they statesmen who do what is right for their country.

I am pleased to say that I see leadership by the U.S. House members who have now staged a four day protest in the darkened nation's capitol. They protest that Dem. Speaker Nancy Pelosi recessed the House for a summer vacation without bringing legislation to the floor that could ease Americans' current pain at the pump ($4-$5 gas depending on location/grade). Democrats left town without even allowing a vote on lifting a ban on offshore oil drilling.

It is disappointing that major news outlets are paying very little attention to what is a huge story. Their history of this kind of coverage is why people in the know get their information from talk radio and blogs. I have found through the years that information found on blogs if often closer to the truth than news coverage. Of course, you must sift through a lot and decide for yourself what jibes with what you actually know to be true.

I would love to bring this to the attention of so many right-minded people who could help put pressure on legislators to do the correct thing. Unfortunately, this is just one of so many issues that raise my ire and fuel my passions, and right now I just don't have the energy for it. I'm thankful that someone else does.

No comments: