Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Stars on a Cajun Night

I have been excited for weeks, ever since I found out that the Pine Leaf Boys were coming to town! I had never heard of them, but with a name like that they just had to play the kind of music that makes you tap your toes. I was not disappointed. Their Cajun music brought the house down, with 30+ ambassadors in attendance.

The musical portion of the night started out very dignified with a performance by Naseer Shamma on a lute. It is a beautiful instrument. The mood was austere and formal. Then (our) Ambassador Olson stood to introduce the band, giving background on southern Louisiana and the Cajun culture. As soon as the band started playing feet on the stage and in the crowd started taping! I enjoyed so much seeing people from all over the world thoroughly enjoying this music. Some were even dancing in the aisles at the end.

Before the show the Ambassador held an invitation-only reception, which is part of my job to attend (I know, I have such a tough life). I greet guests, make sure they meet the Ambassador, get refreshments and never stand alone. One of our guests was Dennis Haysbert (The Unit, 24, AllState commercials).

I come from Nashville. We don't lose our dignity over celebrities. I held my own, spoke with him and casually had my photo taken with him. He was very gracious. I was dancing like a teenage girl inside!

1 comment: