Saturday, June 23, 2012

Arrived Baghdad

I finally have arrived in the country of my next posting - Iraq.  Though I am actually posted to Kirkuk I must spend a few days "checking in" at Embassy Baghdad, so HR knows I'm really here.

I know that everyone will think I'm crazy but it feels good to be back in the Middle East.  It is extremely hot and everything is covered in a thick layer of dust; even the sky is filled with a sandy cloud.  At night the temp is in the high 90's (F) but my uneducated guess is that there is less than 20 percent humidity which makes sitting outside very nice.  My body is rather enjoying the solid warmth after the bone chilling dampness and always cool weather of Brussels...but then again, I think we humans just adapt.

The Embassy compound is very much like a college campus with office buildings, dining facility, dormitory style lodging, some small convenience type stores and some recreation spaces.  The recreation options are pretty nice with weight rooms, exercise classes and swimming available.  The only difference between this and a college campus is you won't be stepping outside the gates without a very good reason and a whole team of security personnel, carrying guns.  Those who have been here a while liken it to being in a nice prison.  I can imagine you would go a bit stir crazy with the same stuff day in, day out.  I suppose that is why they work at least 6 days a week and long hours.

I have met several people that I've worked with before and others soon to be going to my old post of NATO in Brussels; and once again, I have met people that I do not know who have assisted me greatly in navigating my new environment, as well as offered their perspectives on the state of the mission, management and policy emphasis.

In a few days I will make my way to Kirkuk in Northern Iraq.  I have no doubt it will be yet even more different than Baghdad.

No comments: