Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hamdu Lillah

Oh, my dear reader, how I have neglected thee!  But I'm back and I'm pumped!!  Hamdu lillah! (hom dilly la) meaning "Praise to God."  It is one of my favorite Arabic words, its just such a happy little word, much like serendipity.

I am back in DC for training for my next assignment:  Iraq.  I'm actually heading out to one of the three Consulates, not the main Embassy in Baghdad.  I quite think the bureaucracy there might actually kill me.

I spent the day learning Iraqi history, cultural norms and basic language skills.  I see there is a great depth of history and culture...and I'm just excited!

Strange way to meet your new boss - via introductions in a classroom.  I realized about half way through the student's introductions that my new boss was sitting right behind me!!!  Oh horror!! I was sitting with my feet under me in the chair and my shoes off....oh no!  He has seen my toes!!!!  LOL, I don't know why, but that was my first thought. :)

Coming back to DC for training is a lot more fun than coming here for the first time...it is much like coming home.  You see friends and colleagues everywhere.

I have a few more weeks of training and I'm sure it will be enlightening.  This after some serious downtime and personal time with those closest to me.  I spent a week at the beach, just to catch up on my own sleep and list of stuff to do.  Then a day or so visiting a friend who is fighting for his life - all my very best to him and his family, always in my thoughts.  The fun highlight of my vacation was a week plus with my brother and his family on a trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Historic Route 66 and to Las Vegas.  Taking this trip cut down on the amount of time I could spend in my hometown and visit friends, though I did manage to see several, but I so enjoyed spending this time with my family.  It was/is immensely precious to me.

I'm excited again about the future and look forward to sharing with you the experience of heading out into the diplomatic field.  I am looking forward to the challenges I know I will encounter and the opportunities to succeed.

Thank you for sharing my adventure, Shukran (shoe Kran, means thank you).

No comments: