Saturday, February 27, 2010

Future Posting

It is late evening on a Saturday (much like Sunday evening back home because tomorrow is work) and I'm hanging outside on the covered balcony.  It is a unique sight in the desert-it's thunder-n-lightening with a bit of rain.  I've got Dire Straits and the Trio on and my laptop out.  Peaceful is all I can say.  

No one's life is idylic, certainly not all the time, but this is a moment of pleasure and contentment.  I now know where I will be heading off to next-Brussels, Belgium.  I know it will be a nice posting and I'm sure I will have visitors which makes me happy (knowing I won't be lonesome because many will want to visit) and knowing it is less than a full day of travel to get home.  At the same time, as I look to the future, all the constants that I cling to in my daily life will be changing regardless if I want them to or not.  Other dear friends are departing post just like I am, some heading for adventures I wish I could share.

I have been moved within the Embassy to another position.  If you don't already know Embassies are generally understaffed, some more than others. This one is certainly in need of a little "depth of bench."  So the position I currently hold is up for immediate filling, but I'm not scheduled to leave before Sept.  My new post wants me by August and there is supposed to be time in between for training and home leave in the US.  I don't know when, what will happen. 

Uncertainty is a constant for all of life I suppose. 

2 comments:

Brandi A said...

:) You'll have an exciting new place to explore. New friends to get to know...and visits to prepare for...ahem...if I can swing it, some day. :)

Jacksonian Traveler said...

I will be disappointed if you don't come visit!!!