Monday, July 5, 2010

Diving Musandam, Northern Oman


The house is all packed up, everything is gone, except the furniture (doesn't belong to me) and my suitcases. It is July 4th weekend and I have no computer, no TV and not a lot left to do here in Abu Dhabi-so I decided to go diving.

Musandam in Northern Oman has beautiful fjords, some of the most rugged mountains plunging into the sea. It is a harsh landscape with large areas not accessible by road, only by water. I boarded a dhow in the port at Dibba with a few other divers. We proceeded to the most nothern tip, about a 6 hours cruise, watching the sun go down and the stars come alive. I went to my cabin a little after 11 p.m. and we still had not dropped anchor. The next morning I awoke to find us safely tucked away in a cove.

As one of the others said-diving, eating, sleeping. That is what we all did for the next few days. Early morning dives, followed by breakfast, a rest and more of the same. We saw Lion Fish, stingrays, clown fish, eels, turtles and so much more. I must learn more about the animals and fauna before I can tell you. But the colors are so very vibrant, life is so abundant and there was so much to see and enjoy.

Even as I write this I still feel as though I'm rolling on the waves, but I'm on dry ground. Guess it will take a bit for my body to readjust to being on dry land.

No comments: