Sunday, June 10, 2012

Leaks of U.S. Classified Information

Recent leaks of classified information offend me deeply as an American citizen, and as someone who has pledged to protect my country, it angers me.  Every single person who has access to classified information has stood before God and taken the Oath of Office:
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Obviously, somebody, somewhere has broken that oath.  Of course, I am a thinking person.  I do not blindly do what someone else tells me to do, but I also realize that governing our nation is a group effort, a team effort where each of us should strive to follow the ideals laid out in our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

We have all witnessed the fallout from the wiki-leaks mess created by Bradley Manning and can sense there is additional push back from our partners in foreign affairs who question whether or not we can be trusted.  

I have not been privy to any of the information released to the media by this/these criminals, was not even aware of some of it.  I think that most of the American public do not even realize just how big of a wrong has been done to them.  They seem to think that actions taken by Nixon years ago worse than this.  Not that I would defend those actions, but there must be perspective.

It sincerely disappoints me that we as a nation have come to a place where we fully expect our leaders to do this stuff.  Back in the 60's such a leak would have been considered high treason, now we just brush it off as partisan games.
  
Americans who dedicate themselves to defending our country every single day do not deserve to have their work exposed, nor do the citizens of our nation.  I hope the leaker(s) are found and fully prosecuted.

No comments: