Thursday, September 11, 2008

Miss Pepper


We headed off to a vacation for the purpose of letting our emotions settle but we had gotten only a few hours away when we had bad news. Our 15 year old Miniature Schnauzer, Pepper was getting worse, we thought she would get better. We had to make the very emotional final decision for her.

Many tears later I can say that I have no doubt that we made the the right decision for her, but we will miss her very much. She's been with us for 10 years, full of personality and energy. She was always vocal and, from day one, protective of us. Frightened of thunder, fireworks and stairs, she was our little princess with the China girl eyes. She trusted us in everything. She suffered from allergies that for the most part we held at bay. With age came loss of hearing so I hummed to her when I held her.

Part of making the decision to pursue this position with State was the fact that all material things don't really matter, as long as we have each other and the dogs. My sadness is for my loss of the joy she gave me everyday.

Life is all about transition and evolution. We can neither separate the joy from the sorrow nor chose when either happens.

No comments: