Monday, December 8, 2008

Getting Settled In

We’ve been here about 10 days. I would have enjoyed blogging from day one, but you are so exhausted and overwhelmed that it is often all you can do to get up, stay awake and do your job, and then try to sleep at night when your body tells you it is daytime.

The first morning I woke to realize that none of my hair appliances would plug into the transformers. I knew the voltage was different, but didn’t even consider the plug shapes. So not only did the hairdryer not work, but the alarm clock is no more than a paperweight. Time to get battery and wind up clocks.

We had been picked up at the airport by my boss (the flight was 19 hours-so much for first impressions), driven thru the darkness and delivered to our new home at midnight. The house was furnished with all the basics, including dishes, a coffee pot and one towel each. Of course there is no TV, no internet. We do have a phone, but don’t know anyone to call and have no idea of how to call overseas to family at home. Bet you don’t know either!

Worst of all we had no wheels!! It is definitely a different feeling being half way around the world from anyone you know, out of contact, have no idea where you are and no way to get around. Who do you call in an emergency? Where do you go to get food?

But one really great thing about being in the Foreign Service is that you always have compatriots, wherever you go. Not only did my boss take great care in making sure we were settling in, but a sponsor volunteered to help us adjust to our new surroundings. She shopped for us, so there were groceries in the house. She made the bed and supplied us with soap and coffee. She showed us around town and took us to dinner with friends. Within 24 hours we began to feel normal, like we’d been here much longer.

By the way, our sponsor is from Chattanooga. One of the most striking things she told me is that she has traveled the world and never tried to hide her southern accent. I think that I will do the same. I’m proud of where I’m from, and moreover the stereotype of uneducated southerners needs to be dispelled. Cuz' it just ain’t so.

2 comments:

Digger said...

I just found your blog today, so from one Southerner to another, a belated welcome to the FS. I keep a fairly substantial list of FS blogs on my blog, and I will add yours.

Christy Sanford said...

glad you learning to settle in !! praying for smooth transition for everyone ; )