Saturday, October 9, 2010

New Friends in Belgium

I think I have found a group of people to share some great times with here in Belgium. This is an international city with lots of people, government entities and military. With Germany and NATO being here, there are lots of military and ex-military people everywhere.  I was looking to meet others to ride my motorcycle with and literally stumbled upon a Harley Davidson club of mostly American military service members.

My bike has not yet arrived, probably won't until late December, so I have nothing to ride.  I was surprised to be asked to ride with someone else.  I thought about it for a while and decided to go for it.  While it became a bit physically uncomfortable by the end of a long day, the ride was excellent as was the camaraderie. 

I have since spent a bit more time with these people and find that I always have a great time with them.  As a group they are active in community events and put lots of miles under them, while emphasizing safety and mentorship of new riders.

While I'm familiar with people who ride together for safety and fun, I'm new to the idea of a official structured club, but I'm warming to the idea.  Good friends make ALL the difference in how enjoyable life becomes.

While I truly miss my "old" friends (by the simple virtue of being physically separated), I will treasure new ones.

No comments: