Sunday, November 27, 2011

Le Creuset

One of the most enjoyable things about living in different parts of the world is to pick up some of the items unique to the region.  This weekend couple of friends and I took a road trip to the town of Fresnoy-le-Grand in Northern France where Le Creuset manufactures cast iron, enamel coated cookware - for their annual sale.  The prices are 70-80 percent off European prices, which my friends tell me are much less than what you would pay for the same items in the States, due to high import taxes.

The above picture is what I purchased.  I had a great time with the ladies and cannot believe how much fun it was.  When the alarm went off at 5:30 a.m. my first thought was why in the heck did I say I would go?!!  But I began to feel excitement after morning tea at my friend's house and we hit the road at 7:00 a.m.  We certainly weren't first in line, but we did get into the warehouse in the first tranche.  I REFUSE to participate in the lurid Black Friday type shopping and this made me question briefly if I had succumbed to base desires of greed.  But even though the crowd was thick, people were respectful of others. 

Walking the wide aisles of the warehouse there were display items on top of unopened boxes.  What was available was all there was.  If you found the teapot you wanted then you may only find it in one color, so the finds of the day were just that - treasures.  I did fall in love with the Caribbean color, as shown above.

So now is time for cooking and I have some ideas!

2 comments:

hannah said...

I and a few friends are planning to catch this sale next year - how does one find out when it occurs?

Jacksonian Traveler said...

Hannah, I am not certain, but I think the time is always the weekend of our Thanksgiving or the last weekend in Nov. I would suggest you arrive early and be prepared to stand out in the cold for a time. Also bring one (or two) of those little rolly carts used in Europe for grocery shopping. I had mine filled up in less than 15 minutes!