Sunday, August 30, 2009

Even the Best Laid Plan

Last year at this time we had just closed on our house, were packing for a Disney vacation and being so excited about the endless possiblities ahead of us. We knew we were never going to be rich and wealthy with material things, and in all honesty, we had everything we could ever need. Riches and fame are certainly not the kinds of things we sought after.

Now experiences that is a whole different thing. We thought we will follow this path and you just never know we may ski the Swiss Alps, scuba off Australia, hike Kilimanjaro, travel across Russia by train or see Victoria Falls in Africa. Even the smallest, simplist experiences enriched our lives and made it so much more. Every experience was an opportunity to laugh, to joke and to construct a mosaic of a life well lived.

As I have said before the only constant in all of this would be us. We would be together, our whole family. Where we go the dogs go, where one goes so do all the others-that was the rule, the expected norm. Finn Sisu and I knew it would eventually be us without the dogs and we thought our biggest decision would be when to adopt another and if so how many.

The fact that I am now alone was certainly not part of the plan. I don't even have a contingency option.

I miss his humor, his deep and wonderful laugh, his big shoulders and his bear hugs. I miss him tucking me in and the coffee going before I ever wake up. I miss surprising him with an ice cream treat that he didn't ask for.

No comments: