Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another’s Loss

Each day holds its own events. Early this week, I was stopped by a colleague in the parking lot on the way into work. Seems she was worried about me and wanted to be the one to tell me that her husband passed away the day before. Needless to say an emotional moment ensued, but she needn’t worried about me-she is the one who has suffered this loss. I have made myself available to assist her in any way possible and shared her grief to the extent that anyone can feel another’s pain.

Lots of people have expressed to me their feelings of inadequacy with regard to her loss. I’ve had to reassure them the best you can do is to let her BE whatever she needs to be, and simply express your concern for her.  She dealt with her loss much differently than I did.  She was at work every day until they were ready to fly home.  I admire her steadiness, but I also know the pain is still there, regardless of how she copes.

No comments: