Friday, January 15, 2010

If it’s too loud, you’re too old

In my quest to experience different things I have been introduced to a different genre of music than I had previously heard. It’s Irish Punk (I think) and the band I’ve heard is the Dropkick Murphys (from Boston). It’s really fast paced, pounding music with instruments normally used in traditional Irish music.  Punk music is not something I have ever listened to but I discovered that the roots of the genre come from artists who have turned away from the hedonistic excesses of traditional rockers.  The music is hard edged, typically short songs with stripped down (simple) instrumentation.  I am particularly impressed by the "do it yourself" ethic that most groups employ with many self-producing their recordings and distributing them through informal channels.  Anyone who embraces freedom, self reliance and making their own way-I respect.

Considering my own heritage, I am quite happy to have been introduced to it and encourage you to give it a listen.  Just click the title (link) of this post.

No comments: