Monday, January 18, 2010

Dive One

I have started something I've wanted to do my entire life.  I started SCUBA diving lessons!!!  I had a couple nights of classroom and in the pool training, then we went out in the open gulf this weekend to do our first two required open water dives.  I can only say that I was very scared, but I DID IT!!

I dove into 10 meters/33 feet of water (could not see the bottom from the surface).  Going down, down, down was very scary and we did it very slowly.  A fellow student also doing her first dive was my partner, along with the instructor.  We literally held hands while we swam under for about 35 minutes each dive.  The water was cold (21 degrees Celcius) and I got a little sunburn on my face sitting on the boat in between dives, but I am so proud of myself!

Underwater I saw black sea urchins, large hammour (local white fish), a sting ray and tiger fish.  From the boat we saw dolphins.

No comments: